Have you ever found yourself scrolling through a website or social media platform only to see the same ads over and over again? I’ll venture a guess and say that you’re nodding your head. I’d bet HCPs on your target list are doing the same. This isn’t to say digital ads are bad. In fact, most people say the opposite. One study found that 83% of people agreed with the statement “Not all ads are bad.”1 However, your digital advertising can lose its luster when ad fatigue sets in, causing performance to lag. Here’s everything you need to know about ad fatigue for HCP campaigns and what you can do to prevent it.
Ad Fatigue Meaning
Ad Fatigue-Related Statistics
- 91%: The percent of people who believe ads are more intrusive now than they were in the past.2
- 4,000 to 10,000: The estimated number of ads people see daily.3
- 42.7%: The percentage of internet users who use ad blockers.4
- 87%: The percent of people who say that, in general, there are more ads than there were in the past.5
- 83%: The percentage of people who’d like to filter out the intrusive ads.6
How to Know if HCPs Are Experiencing Healthcare Ad Fatigue With Your Ads
Ad Fatigue for HCP Campaigns: How to Avoid It
#1: Set a Frequency Cap
#2: Optimize Your HCP Data
#3: Test New Ad Types
#4: Introduce Key Opinion Leaders to Your Strategy
#5: Add More Value With Better Creatives
- Utilize Animation: In one study, 70% of respondents said interactive ads are more engaging than traditional ones.9 However, your animation shouldn’t exceed 15 seconds or loop more than three times.
- Include Your Logo: What good is an ad if the viewer doesn’t know who’s running it? Even if an HCP doesn’t click on an ad, you’re still building brand awareness.
- Hyper-Personalize: An ad will only be successful if it speaks to your target audience. Promoting a new drug for depression? Your messaging to primary care doctors should be different than how you relate to psychiatrists.
Overcoming Ad Fatigue: Final Thoughts
1, 5., 6. Willner M. NEW DATA ON WHY PEOPLE HATE ADS: TOO MANY, TOO INTRUSIVE, TOO CREEPY. VIEO Design. Published 2016. Accessed September 23, 2021.
2. Coppola J. The Psychology Behind Why People Dislike Ads (And How to Make Better Ones). Wistia. Published January 23, 2020. Accessed September 23, 2021.
3. Marshall R. HOW MANY ADS DO YOU SEE IN ONE DAY? Red Crow Marketing Inc. Published September 10, 2015. Accessed September 23, 2021.
4. Dean B. Ad Blocker Usage and Demographic Statistics in 2021. Backlinko. Published March 9, 2021. Accessed September 23, 2021.
7. Friends and Family Still the Most Trusted Sources of Brand Information. Marketing Charts. Published June 3, 2020. Accessed September 23, 2021.
8. Dopson E. 30+ Influencer Marketing Statistics to Have on Your Radar (2021). Shopify. Published August 18, 2021. Accessed September 23, 2021.
9. Mialki S. 13 Interactive Ads That Maximize Engagement with Prospects. Instapage. Published November 10, 2020. Accessed September 23, 2021.