Video is far and away people’s most popular way to consume digital content. By 2022, the number of digital video viewers will approach 250MM.1 Continued advancements in mobile technology, like the adoption of 5G, will propel video’s stardom even more. Given its popularity, it’s no surprise that advertisers are shifting budgets to video. By 2024, spending on video advertising is projected to be $9.26 billion, representing a year-over-year increase of 111% from 2019.2 This statistic alone justifies an in-depth guide to HCP video advertising.
What’s HCP Video Advertising?
Trends Shaping HCP Video Advertising
By 2021, people will spend an average of 109 minutes watching videos, representing an increase of 137% from 2013.3 Video’s ascent means the ads that come with it are cutting edge and engineered specifically to drive engagement. However, it also means things are constantly changing, making it tough to keep your strategy on par with what users want. As you’re laying the groundwork for your HCP video advertising strategy, keep these trends in mind, and more importantly, craft your strategy around them.
- Mobile Reigns: Between 2016 and 2020, the number of smartphone users increased by more than 68%.4
- Streaming Apps Rule: The average American has 9.5 video streaming apps on their smartphones.5
- Short-Form Video is All the Rage: Sixty-eight percent of people said they’re happy to watch a branded video if it’s less than a minute long.6
- Telehealth is Here to Stay: During the first quarter of 2020, the number of telehealth visits increased by 50%, compared with the same period in 2019.7
- Viewership Shifts to Streaming: You can reach 72% of US households via CTV and OTT.8
Video Ad Formats Perfect for Healthcare Campaigns
- In-Stream Video Ads
In-stream video ads play before (pre-roll), during (mid-roll), or after (post-roll) a video. These are arguably the most common video ad format, appearing in places like YouTube and CTV, and OTT.
- Out-Stream Video Ads
Out-stream video ads aren’t directly related to the page’s content. This format is also standard, appearing in the sidebar, header, or footer of a web page.
- Native Video Ads
Native video ads match the look, feel, and function of the web page HCPs are viewing. Native video ads are the most common across social media platforms, which HCPs see while scrolling through their feeds.
- Non-Linear Video Ads
Non-linear video ads play simultaneously with the content—think overlay ads that appear at the bottom of YouTube videos.
- Interactive Video Ads
Interactive video ads appear across the digital ecosystem and allow HCPs to click, drag, and scroll with the video to get more information.
Video Ad Creative Best Practices to Increase HCP Engagement
- The Shorter, the Better: Keep your videos short—anything more than 15 seconds is too much and risks HCP drop-off. That said, during those 15 seconds, you must capture attention quickly. What do you want HCPs to remember? Assume they’ll only watch the first few seconds.
- Optimize for Mobile: Assume HCPs see your ads on a smartphone or tablet, so use vertical videos whenever possible. Doing so gives HCPs the ability to view your ad without changing the orientation of your phone, but it also gives you the most real estate to work with.
- Assume There Isn’t Sound: A survey found that 92% of people watch videos with the sound off on mobile.11 As a result, always include text, graphics, and captions that convey the story—your message should be crystal clear with or without sound.
- Invest in the Creative: Take extra time on aspects of your ad, such as pacing, text size, and color. A study from Google found that these small changes can increase brand recall and favorability by 10-15%.12
- Tailor to the Platform: Take note of the unique requirements of each platform. What are their technical specifications? Which type of video ads performs the best?
Moving Forward with HCP Video Advertising
It’s abundantly clear why videos are ubiquitous with healthcare advertising. For one, it’s the preferred way for HCPs to consume digital content. But more importantly, video ads outperform other mediums. Not only are people 27X more likely to click on a video ad than a static banner, but 89% of video marketers say video gives them a good ROI.9,10 This is why investing in HCP video advertising is essential to the long-term success and sustainability of your healthcare advertising strategy. Whether HCPs are playing a game on their smartphones during a break, looking at an electronic health record (EHR) before an appointment, or sitting down after work to stream their favorite show via CTV, video is at the center of it all—and that should be music to your ears.