Advertising to HCPs online can feel reactionary. It’s a lot like playing the popular arcade game, whack-a-mole. You know your objective, and you have a strategy, but there’s still some uncertainty. But what if there was a cheat code for the game that gave you the precise location of where the next mole would pop up? It’d make playing — and winning — the game a lot easier. Although we don’t know of a cheat code for the arcade game, we do have one for digital advertising: healthcare geofencing.
Healthcare Geofencing Definition
Geotargeting vs. Geofencing in Healthcare: What’s the Difference?
Geotargeting & Geofencing in Healthcare: An Example
10 HCP Geofencing Examples to Inspire Your Next Healthcare Campaign
1. Industry Conferences | Demo Requests for a Medical Device Company
2. Hospitals | Sales for a Medical Supply Company
3. Doctor’s Offices | Subscriptions for a Telehealth Provider
4. Brick-and-Mortar Pharmacies | Customer Acquisition for a Mail-Order Pharmacy
5. Cardiac Centers | More Conference Attendees
6. Blood Banks | More Patients for a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Practice
7. Ambulatory Services | Brand Awareness for a Medical Supply Company
8. Mental Health & Addiction Treatment Centers | App Downloads for a Meditation App
9. Nursing Homes | Sales for an Insurance Company
10. Urgent Care | Foot Traffic for Urgent Care Competitors
Is Geofencing HCPs Worth It?
HCP Geofencing Helps You Engage a High-Intent AudienceUnless you’re running a brand awareness campaign, you have lower-funnel goals, like script lift. To reach these goals, you need to deliver your ads to HCPs who are in the medical mindset and more likely to convert. There’s no better way to do this than by reaching them when they’re actually at locations related to their professions, like offices, conferences, and surgery centers.
HCP Geofencing Saves You MoneyThere’s no denying that healthcare ad spending is on the rise. It’s estimated that between 2011 and 2021, healthcare ad spending will increase by more than 1000%.1 Still, there’s pressure to spend wisely, especially in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. A report forecasted that marketing leaders will have 30% less marketing spend in 2022 than they had at the end of 2019.2 In no way does this mean advertising is any less important; it just means you may have to do more with less. Healthcare geofencing campaigns help you do that by focusing your spend on a refined audience of high-intent HCPs.
HCP Geofencing Opens the Door to Personalization & RelevancyHCPs can become overwhelmed with ads, which means it’s essential that you differentiate your campaigns. Personalization is a great way to do this. By implementing an HCP geofencing campaign, you’re getting in front of your target audience at times when you know what they’re doing and the type of information they’re seeking. Because of this, you can personalize your ads in a more meaningful way. According to one study, 72% of people will only engage with personalized messaging.3
Healthcare Geofencing: Your Next HCP Advertising Cheat Code
Like this article? You’ll like these, too.
- Statista Research Department. Healthcare and pharmaceutical industry digital ad spend in the U.S. 2011-2021. Statista. Published October 2020. Accessed October 8, 2021.
- Newman D. What Should CMOs Focus On In 2021? Forbes. February 16, 2021. Accessed October 8, 2021.
- Moran M. 56 Top Personalization Statistics: Research-Backed Facts And Trends. Startup Bonsai. Published September 18, 2021. Accessed October 8, 2021.